Thursday, April 8, 2010

Salad Dressing of the Week: Green Goddess

This spring/summer I want to do a better job eating salads, and I'm hopeful that using homemade salad dressings will help make salad eating more appetizing.

 
I found a recipe here that looked close to a dressing my grandmother has made in the past from scratch. Yes, it's full of great calorie-laden stuff like mayonnaise and sour cream (which I replaced with plain lowfat yogurt), but it also contains great flavorings like tarragon vinegar and anchovies--which are my favorite salad dressing ingredient!

 
It also contains fresh herbs: parsley, chives, mint, and tarragon. This week I used what I had on hand, which was parsley, green onions, no mint, and dried tarragon. It still turned out beautifully and I have been enjoying it on salad every day this week, in small portions of course.

ETA: Here are some various ways I used Green Goddess dressing this week:
  • I also served it to our relatives on salad as well as on top of fresh steamed asparagus.
  • As a dip for cut fresh vegetables.
  • Combined with chopped hardboiled eggs, it makes a tangy Egg Salad
  • I also spread it on a tortilla as a sandwich spread, then added turkey, lettuce, spinach, carrots, and tomatoes for a tasty sandwich wrap.
  • I didn't do this, but you could also use it for potato salad, either warm or chilled.
 This stuff is good. I will definitely be making it again!

 
You can find more ways to use herbs and spices as Lifeasmom.com.

No comments: