Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Beef With Broccoli--Home Made

A few years back, I had a craving for Beef With Broccoli, and I had a package of stew meat. I searched around online, but none of the recipes I found seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. Finally after reading about a dozen of them, I decided to make it up as I went along, taking ideas from various recipes that seemed to fit. The result was a fast and delicious meal that I have made repeatedly.

Ingredients:
  • 3 T Cornstarch, divided
  • 1/2 cup water plus 2 T water, divided
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 lb steak cut into strips (or stew meat chunks!)
  • 2 T Olive Oil, divided
  • 4 cups broccoli florets (I like fresh, but frozen will work)
  • 1 onion cut into thin wedges
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 2 T brown sugar
  • 1 tsp ginger
  • Cooked Brown Rice

1. Combine 2 T Cornstarch, 2 T water, and garlic powder in a large bowl, mixing to combine. Add beef and toss to coat.
2. Add 1 T olive oil to pan, heat to medium high. Add meat to pan (discarding excess fluid from cornstarch mixture) and stir fry (stirring often) until all sides are browned, 4-6 minutes. Remove beef to a plate.
3. Add last 1 T olive oil to pan and add broccoli and onions. Saute, stirring frequently, then turn heat low, cover, and allow vegetables to steam and soften.
4. Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, remaining 1 T corn starch, and remaining 1/2 cup of water. Mix to combine and pour over vegetables in pan. Add meat back to pan and simmer, covered, for 5-7 minutes.

Serve over rice.

No comments: