We have 3 family members with birthdays in the first 4 days of October, and I am hosting a family get-together to celebrate this Saturday! Here's what I'm planning to serve:
- Basil Pesto and hummus with crackers and grapes (appetizer)
- Lemon Chicken with Carrot Orzo (with whole wheat pasta)
- Green Salad with Green Goddess Dressing
- Fresh Cut up Fruit
- Rolls (store-bought)
- Mini Sour Cream Pound Cake Cupcakes
- Wine, Italian soda, Coffee
This Week: make pesto and freeze, make dressing and refrigerate, grocery shop
The Day Before: Cut chicken breasts, bake and frost cupcakes, make green salad, cut fruit for fruit salad
The Day of: Cook Chicken and Carrot Orzo beforehand, and keep warm in chafing dishes. I'll triple the chicken recipe and double the orzo recipe as we are expecting 13-15 people total. Set up extra table, serve meal buffet-style.
I'm hoping that by keeping the menu simple and doing as much as possible before the get-together we'll have a relaxing gathering!