Saturday, February 6, 2010

Soup of the Week: Bone Soup

I finally saved up enough chicken and turkey bones in the freezer to make Bone Soup! The larger bag in the picture above contains the bones, and the smaller bag contains frozen vegetable scraps I've been saving up (onion, carrot, zucchini, etc.). You just throw the bones and the vegetables in a large pot with a splash or two of vinegar, fill the pot with water, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 7 hours, then allow to cool.

At that point you are supposed to strain the liquid into a pitcher, but our power went out due to a storm and I didn't feel up to straining in the dark with a flashlight, so we popped the soup pot in the fridge overnight, figuring the power would soon return. It didn't. It hasn't yet!

When I checked the soup in the morning, it was semi-cool, and it had 'heated' all the milk on the shelf with it, so I had to improvise.

It's now on my back deck in the largest pitcher I own, along with several other fridge items, chilling. I have a plan to freeze the stock in smaller portions, in fact I will measure out how much I need for a few upcoming recipes, then I can just defrost it and dump it in.

I can't do all of that until the power turns back on and we go back home. We are at a hotel for tonight. I can't decide what I appreciate more, the heater, or the WiFi.

Edited to add: Finished!

No comments: