Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Declutter Inspiration: I'm Entering my Scary Laundry Room in a Contest!

I admit it. I am a procrastinator. I have gotten amazing things done recently while working to avoid focusing on my Declutter Challenge for myself. I've planned brunches, planted paperwhites, read books, cooked delicious food, provided elaborate answers to my son's neverending questions... the list goes on and on.

'I'm an Organizing Junkie' is hosting a 28 Day Organizing Challenge for the month of February, complete with Before and After pictures. I immediately thought of a great set of Before pictures I just posted the other week: My Laundry Room Basement!

Just in case you haven't had the experience of viewing my Disaster Area:


Oh, my. I have my work cut out for me. It's so scary that I don't like to go into my basement unless absolutely neccessary, such as when we are all out of underwear and I need to do laundry (just kidding, I keep up with the laundry before underwear emergencies occur, but you get the idea!).

My main goal is to declutter in a more thoughtful way, but it occurs to me that it would make sense to simply go through the mass confusion in the basement and organize it based on which decluttering projects I plan on working on first. I have already wasted time to search randomly through the piles for my book and dish sales. It would be great to go through everything, sort it, and store it more efficiently so that I can focus more time in finding good homes for everything.

I'm sure that the organizing pros who enter this challenge will put together amazingly beautiful spaces and win all the wonderful prizes. I will be happy to just participate and be inspired to be more productive by the opportunity to share my experience (and 'After' pictures at the end of the month!)

My goals for the challenge:
  • To use this blogging exercise to motivate me to work on this mess. Whomever is reading can hold me accountable to get at least *something* done!
  • Rather than focusing on getting rid of all this stuff this month, I want to store and organize it so that I can find things when I am working on certain decluttering projects throughout the year without overlooking lost items.
  • I want to clear a work space that I can use to sort/decluter, fold laundry, send packages/wrap gifts, etc.
  • I want to work on all of these things without spending money. Organizing solutions are fun but since my focus this year is on decluttering, I want to get creative and see what I can do with what I already own.
This should be fun (except the part where I have to spend actual time in the basement. Argh!)

You can check out other 'Before' pictures and reports at orgjunkie.com. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about not really getting rid of stuff, but that there needs to be some method to the madness...a place for everything, and everything in its place. Let's get to it!

MollyinMinn said...

Amazing how these rooms get away from us, isn't it. Great plan! You can do it.

Amy -Cutting Coupons in KC said...

I am organizing my basement too. I am still trying to figure out how it ended-up such a mess!! Good luck with your organizing.