Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pineapple Zucchini Bread

 
 
I decided to give pineapple zucchini bread a try when I ended up with one of those huge zucchinis that seem to grow in the garden overnight! I updated a recipe from my husband's family to reduce fat and added sugar. I could never understand the appeal of zucchini in a quick bread before, but this stuff is delicious!
 
Ingredients:
  • 10 Tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups sugar (or less to taste)
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 3 cups flour (I used 2 cups white and 1 cup of white whole wheat)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 2 cups crushed pineapple, drained (I used a 20 oz can)
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans) 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 standard loaf pans with waxed paper.
Since I was using a huge zucchini with fully developed seeds, I scooped the seeds out before shredding the zucchini in a food processor.
In a mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, and grated zucchini. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon) then gradually add to wet mixture, being careful not to overmix. Lastly, add the crushed pineapple and nuts.
 
Ladle mixture into baking pans and bake for 1 hour. (If using smaller baking pans, bake for 35-45 minutes.
 
 
Find more zucchini recipes here!

No comments: