Monday, July 4, 2011

Menu Plan Monday: July 4th, 2011

Martha Stewart's Firework Icing--I couldn't resist trying this out!
Happy Fourth of July!

This week will be a challenge mealwise as my kids have swim lessons from 5:30-7 PM three nights this week. If I feed them dinner at 4:30, my son in particular will feel like he 'missed' dinner and he'll ask for more to eat at 8 PM. If I wait to feed them until 7:30 PM, both kids will get cranky and hungry at the pool. If anyone has any advice, please let me know!

In the mean time, this is what I'm thinking of doing:
  • Monday: Family Get-together (I'm bringing the cookies that I made with my preferred recipe. Icing recipe and instructions for Fireworks design are courtesy of Martha Stewart, who always makes is look easier than it really is, but they were doable...)
  • Tuesday: Marinated Salmon (from the freezer--I'll broil it), baked redskin potatoes, steamed vegetables, fresh cantalope (served before swim lessons)
  • Wednesday: Baked Chicken Tenders, corn on the cob, steamed broccoli (served after lessons: the chicken tenders are even better leftover, so I'll bake them in advance and reheat them in the oven while boiling/steaming the vegetables)
  • Thursday: Grilled Steak (from the freezer), salad, brown rice pilaf (served after lessons)
  • Friday: Junk Food at the Ball Game :)
  • Saturday: Cashew Chicken Curry (from the freezer), brown rice pilaf
  • Sunday: Leftovers
  • Monday: More Lessons! I'll wait to see what worked this week before planning meals around next week's lessons.
 Find more meal planning ideas at orgjunkie.com!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I'd do a protein snack... cheese, cold meat, etc... before swim and a light supper after. We do that with my daughter, who has Type I Diabetes, whenever she will be "off" our usual meal times. Cheese/crackers, apple slices/peanut butter, cheese stick, pepperoni.... those all hold her over until a full meal. Good luck-- I know all too well what it's like to have hungry/grumpy kids and eat at odd times!

You can check out what we're eating HERE if you'd like. :)

FromCristinToMommy said...

id be too full to eat before swimming. maybe offer a snack before and dinner when u get home
carrots with ranch, a salad, even a bowl of cereal! or pbj, sandwhich. something light!
i'd love if you visited my blog
you can check out my Menu Plan here

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the ideas! I think the heavy snacking strategy is what will work best. I am just not good at having dinner on the table at 4:30 in the afternoon...