Thursday, June 17, 2010

Recycle a Piperlime Shipping Box

I ordered a pair of shoes from Piperlime recently, and I love them!

I also loved the interior of the shipping box:

The entire interior of the box is covered in little green 'limes' in a pretty shade of green. So pretty, in fact, that I couldn't imagine just tossing the box (used once!) into the recycling bin--or even my shipping box stockpile. I decided to see how the limes would look if they were on the outside of the box.

I used a pair of scissors to cut the tape open on the bottom of the box. I then carefully tore the glued seam of the box with my fingers. When the cardboard was completely flat, I refolded the box so that the limes show on the outside, and sealed the seams with clear packing tape. I left the top flaps loose for now, but I may table those down in the future. This was the result:

By keeping the seam on the outside of the box (rather than on the inside as it was originally assembled) it covers up the torn area and still looks pretty nice, as you can see below:

 
Now I have a pretty cardboard storage box! The dimensions are 14" long x 10" wide x 12" high. I just need to figure out what could be stored inside. Cardboard isn't a good fit for frequent use, so I am thinking it may belong on an upper shelf in my or my daughter's closet. The narrow width makes it easier to store it in a narrow area.

No comments: