Sunday, January 24, 2010

Pantry Challenge: Stretching to the end of the Month

Must. Not. Go. Grocery. Shopping!


It's time to dig around a little more and see what I can come up with to feed my ravenous family for the final 5 days of the Pantry Challenge. Fortunately I overplanned for this previous week and I didn't make every meal that I intended to make--we had leftovers more than I planned. I can move those meals over to the new week. My goal is to postpone grocery shopping until February 2nd.

The meals from last week or so that I didn't make were the mushroom barley soup (for lunches) and the salmon with the lime cilantro. I'll shuffle things around a little and get these things made for this week.
  • Sunday: I'm going to move the shrimp pasta I was planning and make the salmon with lime cilantro soba noodles and spinach today. I am going to double this recipe to marinate the salmon, freezing half for a future meal. (The salmon is already frozen, I'll just combine the marinade w/the frozen salmon in a freezer bag and it will marinate when I move it to the fridge to defrost.)
  • Monday: Chicken and Dumplings Casserole (as previously planned)
  • Tuesday: Bouchons au Thon (tuna corks) with roasted potatoes and vegetable (as previously planned)
  • Wednesday:  Chicken drumsticks with side and vegetable
  • Thursday: Shrimp Pasta, finally picked a recipe! with salad (this recipe is reviewed here.)
  • Friday: Breakfast for Dinner: Eggs, hash browns, bacon, vegetable, etc.
  • Saturday: Leftovers
  • Sunday: Bean and Cheese Quesadillas and a vegetable
  • Monday: Lasagna (from the freezer) with salad and bread
  • Tuesday: Grocery Shop! This will be great timing to shop for the Sunday Brunch.
I think we'll make it--so long as there aren't any surprises such as people eating food that I am hoping to use in a future meal!

The only item I need from the store for this meal plan are eggs. We made a frittata yesterday as we had some guests for a small brunch and exhausted our egg supply. Can I go to the store and buy only one item?

Be sure to check out other Pantry Challenge Updates at MoneySavingMom.com!

No comments: