Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Eat From the Pantry Challenge


I'm excited to be joining the Eat From the Pantry Challenge hosted by Moneysavingmom and Lifeasmom! They have some ambitious goals set for themselves this month, and they have inspired me to scrutinize my food stock and clear out a few things that have been hanging around for too long.
My main goal is to see how long I can go buying only produce, sandwich bread, and dairy at the grocery store. I don't think I will last the entire month, because all last fall I was having my own little personal challenge of seeing how long I could stretch food between trips to the grocery store.
My secondary goal is to find creative ways to use up random stuff in the fridge, freezer, and pantry. Suggestions are welcome!
Here are the meals I have planned forJanuary so far (going back to January 1st to be thorough!):
  1. Friday: Black Eyed Peas and rice (made with leftover Christmas ham)
  2. Saturday: Leftovers from our Christmas Family get-togethers (Maple-Balsamic Chicken with fresh rice, veggies, and leftover salad)
  3. Sunday: More Leftovers! (random stuff)
  4. Monday: Spanish-Style Lentils and Rice with steamed asparagus (used up mini bell peppers from a party veggie tray and cheese)
  5. Tuesday: Honey Hen, roasted sweet potatoes, and green beans (made with boneless skinless chicken thighs and green beans from the freezer)
  6. Wednesday: Quinoa Vegetable Soup (from freezer stash) and Sweet Potato Biscuits (if there are any sweet potatoes left over from previous night)
  7. Thursday: Spaghetti and Meatballs w/whole wheat pasta, broccoli, and French bread left over from holiday party (with homemade spaghetti sauce from freezer stash--my last bag of sauce!)
  8. Friday: Eating out
  9. Saturday: Potato Kale Quiche (making this ahead on Thursday) and broccoli
  10. Sunday: Bean and Cheese Quesadillas, fruit, frozen peas and corn (need to use up cheese and whole wheat tortillas. Make ahead on Wednesday and freeze)
  11. Monday: Salt and Pepper Chicken (value pack in freezer not needed for holiday dinner) with Kasha pilaf (one of the random items from the pantry!!!) and a veggie.
  12. Tuesday: Soup of the Week night: Tortilla Soup w/leftover chicken from previous night and leftover pita chips if I can keep people from eating them in the next week.

I'll be back later to share the random items I've found in my pantry, fridge, and freezer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, I have been working on cleaning out my own pantry which is a habit I tend to do towards the end of each month and then more seriously towards the end of the year so I can be sure to get rid of products that may be expiring. Toward the end of each week, I like to go through the fridge, especially, and make up something left-over friendly like soup, lasagna, or banana bread, but this week, I did something different: Stuffed Green Peppers with leftover spaghetti meat sauce and leftover rice...I just added a few freshly chopped onions and a touch of sugar to the sauce and baked-- they were delicious!!

Do other people have good ideas for leftovers or other "UNIQUE Back of PANTRY FINDS" ??? -- besides hiding nutritional leftovers like Michelle's sweet potatoes into the biscuits, I often add them to pancakes the next morning or mix some leftovers into muffins for extra fibre and vitamins. Sweet potatoes, pumpkin, pretty much any canned or aging fruit work great!!

Really like your Blog! Hope I can keep up with it!

Have a good day,
Gina