Friday, January 8, 2010

Declutter Inspiration

While I am still working at packing up the Christmas aftermath, I am trying to put together a plan for attacking my Declutter Project for the year. For me, it's not just about cleaning things up and getting rid of stuff (although these are important and valid goals), but about maintaining a home that is peaceful rather than stressful, relaxing rather than overstimulating, and energizing rather than depressing.

It is also important to me that our home be efficient. Rather than mindlessly adding more space, I would like to use the space we have in creative ways that work well for our family, and I am always looking for ideas and inspiration.

One of my favorite inspiration books is Creating the Not So Big House: Insights and Ideas for the New American Home by Sarah Susanka. Sarah Susanka is an architect who has written a number of books, but for some reason this is the one that inspires me the most. Her concept is that smaller well-laid-out homes can be more efficient than larger homes while at the same time feeling more cozy and homelike. This book contains lots of beautiful photos of expensive new homes and remodeling projects, but the basic concepts beneath the designs can often be implemented in affordable ways. Check it out from your library today!

A few years back I stumbled across a slide show at flickr.com of a small, beautifully laid out, and incredibly efficient apartment space. Be sure to move the mouse over the white squares in some of the photos to see the notes about various items. Delight is such an incredible photographer and interior decorator; I love virtually walking through her home--even though she hasn't lived there for years! She has had many adventures since leaving this apartment, which you can read a little about here, if you are interested. Talk about inspiring!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am in the SAME declutter frame of mind...your blog inpired me to do something I have always wanted to do...I hired a professional cleaning service that also "santitizes" as my one much belated Christmas treat for myself. They are coming on Monday, 1/11 at 11am...I am so HAPPY!!! as it will be nice to have the house completely spotless and germ-free when I get home from my surgery later this month!

Keep up the good work,
Gina