Monday, October 3, 2011

Freezer Cooking While Making Dinner: The Freezer is Full!



The Freezer is officially full. SO full that we need to eat some ice cream to make some room for the coffee beans again, so it isn't all bad news!

I made 3 batches of Molasses Glazed Chicken Thighs, served one for dinner, and froze the other two. I also made a pot of Black Bean Hambone Soup, and ended up with 3 packages to freeze (2 large servings each). I made Whole Wheat Banana Bread into muffins for my daughter to take to school for her class's snack, and I managed to freeze another 16 Chocolate Chip Cookies when I was baking for a potluck last week.

I was supposed to also make up additional Bean and Cheese Quesadillas when I put them together last week, but I ran out of time (and space in the freezer).

This week the only food I plan to freeze is any meat leftovers and gravy/glaze from my Pot Roast, which I been using to flavor Minestrone Soup--a little goes a long way! I'm going to take a much-needed break from cooking... and from my family for a long weekend away. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm looking forward to reading more of how you do this. i am starting to try this as well. right now, i am seeing i need to allot more time during the "cooking dinner hour" if i'm going to make anything for the freezer as well. but the payoff will come...right?? :)
thanks for the ideas.
stacey @ www.gettingthroughtheday.com

Michelle said...

It does take extra time. Some of the extra time is in the morning, say if I marinate some chicken for dinner, I might as well measure extra marinade ingredient and freeze a few extra batches.

The key for me has been to pick one or two days a week to freeze extras, then to make sure I have what I need ingredients-wise in advance.

Thanks for reading!