Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Freezer Cooking Experiment: Spinach

When cleaning out the refrigerators at the beach house last weekend, my SILs and I found a large quantity of fresh baby spinach leaves on the brink of expiration, and I 'inherited' them. I decided to do a Freezer Cooking experiment on them, because there is no way my husband and I would eat 20+ ounces of fresh spinach before it all went bad.

I wilted the spinach in a large saute pan with about 1.5 Tablespoons of butter. We ate some with the salmon we were having for dinner, and I froze the rest in two packages after straining out most of the liquid.

My plan is to defrost one of the packages for dinner later this week to see how it holds up to being frozen. (I'm thinking it should be fine since you can buy frozen spinach at the grocery store...)

If it holds up, I will have a new rescue strategy for spinach!

No comments: