Wednesday, July 14, 2010

It's Barely a Recipe: Tomato Cucumber Salad

A few months ago I tried a little too hard to add more salads and fresh greens to my diet. I ended up with low energy and a touch of anemia. I've accepted that I need a significant amount of protein in each meal to make it all the way through the day without crashing, and a hard boiled egg and a few nuts on top of a salad aren't going to be enough for me.

I do still want to integrate salads into my meals, though, and this is the salad that I plan to continue inhaling until the fresh tomatoes and cucumbers from the farmer's market run out!

Ingredients:
  • Fresh cucumbers (1/2 cucumber per person)
  • Fresh tomatoes (1 medium tomato per person)
  • Salt to taste
  • Pepper to taste
  • Basalmic Vinegar
I liked to peel just a few strips of skin off the cucumbers because apparently the skins contain a lot of fiber and nutrients. I halve them lengthwise, and the I scoop out the seeds with a melon baller (to make them burpless, don't eat the seeds!) I cut them into large chunks for this salad, or into sticks for dipping into hummus, etc.

I chop the tomatoes into large chunks. Combine with cucumbers in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and splash a little basalmic vinagrette on top. Stir to distribute flavors and serve immediately.

It's so good, and It's Barely a Recipe!

No comments: