Monday, April 29, 2013

Kale Brown Rice Casserole

If you're looking for more ways to add greens to you diet, this is a great way to to do it--either for breakfast/lunch, or as a side dish for dinner!

Ingredients:

4 cups cooked brown rice (I used seasoned brown rice that was cooked in chicken or vegetable stock)
1 cup kale (or other green such as spinach or Swiss chard--I like dinosaur kale) minced in the food processor
1 1/4 cups milk
4 eggs
1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes (I skipped this)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheese (optional)

Preheat over to 375 degrees. I shred both my cheese and mince my kale in the food processor.
(I used a lot of that cheese for other recipes!)

Combine brown rice and minced kale, then put into a baking dish.
I layered half the cheese in the middle of the casserole.

Combine milk, eggs, nutmeg, salt, and pepper (and nutritional yeast if using) and pour over the kale brown rice mixture. Bake for 40 minutes or until firm.



Recipe adapted from The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook by Cathe Olson.




No comments: