Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pantry Inventory-I'm Finding Weird Stuff




I decided that taking an inventory of my pantry meant digging and poking around in it for a bit to see if anything surprising turned up. (I admire everyone who diligently went through and made a list:) The Good News is that I didn't see an evidence of moths or other bugs. Yay!





Most items are things that I use regularly and rotate accordingly, but there were a few items that were gathering dust:


I have plans to try the Kasha (given to me by a friend), and I have recipes for the pearled barley and tuna, just need to figure out when to prepare them. The green package is alphabet soup pasta, which I will probably use with some odds and ends to make some lunch.

The plastic container contains millet of an undetermined age. The 5-grain cereal I made once for breakfast and have never made again. I have no idea what to do with these items!


I also found a box of oat bran. The expiration date said 2005. It went into the trash. The millet might be that old, too!


I poked through my freezer, trying not to get buried under an avalanche. It's crammed full but doesn't have much in it, if that makes any sense. Here are my weird freezer items I need to integrate into my meal plans:




  • 2 lbs frozen shrimp: this was supposed to be an appetizer for a party that was cancelled due to a snowstorm. We don't usually eat shrimp, so I'm going to have to figure out what to do with them. (Have another party?)

  • Frozen Mango Chunks: For smoothies we were making last summer. The blender didn't like them, so I stopped adding them.

  • Frozen Bananas: Well, these aren't so weird, but I need to get them made up into some banana bread because they are multiplying!

The Fridge Scan was less interesting, because I tend to keep up with the fridge more consistently. The only items on the brink of expiration were a package of blueberries (overbought for traditional English Trifle recipe) and a open container of half and half that will most likely pop into some pancakes.

No comments: